All Title I funded schools and local educational agencies (LEAs) that do not make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) are identified for Program Improvement (PI) under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
This law requires LEAs to adopt grade-level standards, use the most effective methods and instructional strategies for teaching children, and assess their progress each year as mandated by the State. Assessment results are disaggregated by socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, disability, and limited English proficiency to ensure that no group is left behind. LEAs and schools that fail to make AYP toward statewide proficiency goals are subject to improvement and corrective action measures. Schools that did not make “adequate yearly progress (AYP)” on the STAR test for two consecutive years are identified as “Program Improvement” schools by the California Department of Education.
Once a school has been identified, the district is required by law to provide parents with several options to assist their students academically. The first of these options is called School Choice. The second option is called Supplemental Educational Services.
School of Choice - All parents/guardians of students attending a PI school have the right to request a transfer of their children to a non-PI district school with district-paid transportation.
- Students may choose to attend a non-Program Improvement school within the district
- Transportation will be provided by CUSD
Supplemental educational services (SES) are additional academic instruction provided outside of the regular school day and designed to increase the academic achievement of students attending schools in Program Improvement (PI) Years 2 through 5. SES, or free tutoring, must be high quality, research based, and specifically designed to increase student academic achievement. Supplemental Education Services (SES), are available to the following students:
- Attend a Program Improvement School (Year 2 to 5+) school
- Qualify for Free/Reduced Lunch
- CST results are BELOW BASIC or FAR BELOW BASIC in English Language Arts (ELA) or Mathematics
The second Provider Fair will take place on Thursday, March 7th in the multipurpose room at El Roble Intermediate School, located at 665 N. Mountain Ave. in Claremont from 6:00-7:00 p.m. This is time for parents/guardians to meeting the various Providers and decide which services are best for their student(s). The parent/guardian has the sole responsibility for the selection of the service Provider. All applications must be returned to the school site no later than Tuesday, March 12, 2013.
CUSD Schools currently in Program Improvement:
- Oakmont Elementary School
- Vista del Valle Elementary School
School of Choice Documents:
- Program Improvement Parent Letter Oakmont [-English-] [-Spanish-]
- Program Improvement Parent Letter Vista [-English-] [-Spanish-]
- School of Choice Application
Supplemental Educational Services Documents:
- SES Parent Letter Oakmont - [-English-] [-Spanish-]
- SES Parent Letter Vista - [-English-] [-Spanish-]
- Application Oakmont (Eng./Esp.)
- Application Vista (Eng./Esp.)
- Student Learning Plan CUSD - [-English-] [-Spanish-]
- Student Attendance Form
- Student Progress Report
- Parent Provider Agreement [-English-] [-Spanish-]
This page was last updated March 08, 2013